The Jewish Community Relations Council has created this resource page to assist community members and congregations in addressing issues related to the American immigration system. We believe that support for a rational system of immigration is made imperative by Jewish tradition and values, and it is our hope that this page will inspire active engagement in immigration reform and a commitment to a generous, rational and compassionate immigration policy.
Three Immediate Steps You Can Take to Help
- Urge your Senator to put an immediate end to this crisis
- Donate to these extraordinary charities driving impact at the border:
- Texas Civil Rights Project South
- Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project (ProBAR)
- Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley
- Use United We Dream’s Toolkits & Resource to ensure local protections and inclusivity for immigrants communities
Engaging Congregations on Immigration Reform
There are many ways for congregations to become active in the immigration reform movement:
- Review our Immigration Action Guide for Congregations
- Join or create an immigrant-rights discussion group
- Do a text study related to immigration (see our Scriptures and Sacred Text Resource)
- Contact your congressional representatives regarding important immigration legislation
- Host an immigrant-rights event for your congregation or the broader community
- Hold a prayer vigil for detained immigrants and/or separated families
- Organize volunteers for local immigrant-rights organizations (see below)
Immigrant Rights Groups Active in the Bay Area
Canal Alliance - Nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment.
CARECEN SF - Empowers and responds to the needs, rights and aspirations of Latino, immigrant, and under-resourced families in the San Francisco Bay Area — building leadership to pursue self-determination and justice.
Catholic Charities - Supporting homeless families, aging adults, immigrants and youth through social services and opportunities for healthy growth and development.
Centro Legal de la Raza - Comprehensive legal services agency protecting and advancing the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities through bilingual legal representation, education, and advocacy.
Faith in Action: Immigrant Justice - Network of congregations and faith-based groups that believe all people are made in the image of our creator and, therefore, are entitled to love and respect.
HIAS - Helping refugees rebuild their lives in safety and dignity for more than 130 years.
Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity - Works to achieve an equitable, inclusive and healthy society, culture, and economy where the most vulnerable, disenfranchised and marginalized have equal opportunities and access to the resources and tools needed to achieve a dignified quality of life.
JFCS East Bay - Home care, refugee resettlement, counseling, early childhood mental health, and social services in Berkeley, Oakland, Walnut Creek, Orinda.