A Prayer for Peace
March 1, 2022
Posted by: JCRC Staff
Like you, we are watching the invasion of Ukraine with horror at Vladimir Putin’s willingness to shed blood, hope in response to the rapidly developing international solidarity against the conflict, support for the Ukrainian people, pride in the leadership of (Jewish) President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and, most of all, deep admiration for the resilience of the Ukrainian people.
Speaking at our our 26th Annual JCRC Freedom Seder, Ukrainian Consul General Dmytro Kushneruk reminded the community that “during the Second World War, many nations showed their indifference, and wasted time to save the Jewish people.” ... “Were they to react faster, maybe the consequences may not have been so awful for Jewish people. That’s what we need from the world right now.”
That's why we are calling for an end to California's $2 billion investment in Russia through SB 1328, which would prohibit the boards of specified state and local public retirement systems from investing public employee retirement funds in a company with business operations in Russia or Belarus or a company that supplies military equipment to Russia or Belarus.
ACT NOW: Ask your legislators in both the California Senate and Assembly to take immediate action in support of these sanctions!
As the crisis in Ukraine escalates, our partners at the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, Jewish Family and Children’s Services, HIAS nd Hebrew Free Loan are mobilizing financial support.
- Federation is raising and sending funds to support the Jewish community in Ukraine through the Joint Distribution Committee (JCD) to provide critical aid and help Jewish families in danger. ...Details here.
- JFCS is accepting donations for direct humanitarian aid in cooperation with our colleagues working on the ground there. 100 percent of donations go to humanitarian aid for families in Ukraine. ...Details here.
- HIAS has over a century of experience assisting Jewish and non-Jewish refugees escape war and persecution in Ukraine. Working with partners on both sides of the Ukrainian border, HIAS needs support today to ensure safety and dignity of those fleeing the latest invasion. ...Details here.
- Hebrew Free Loan is offering interest-free Ukraine Assistance loans to members of our Northern California Jewish community who need funds to support their loved ones who are in Ukraine or fleeing to safety. ...Details here.
- IsraAID is supporting Ukrainian refugees in Moldova by providing urgent aid & longer-term support. ... Details here.
A Prayer for Peace
View an Interfaith Briefing and Prayer for Peace featuring the Ukrainian Consul General Dmytro Kushneruk. Included in this briefing is historical context, factors leading up to the invasion, a firsthand perspective of the struggle and suffering, and what is at stake for Ukraine, its neighbors and the global community. Consul General Kushneruk was joined by St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church Priest, the Very Reverend Georgiy Tyapko, who offere a "Prayer for Peace" - view the recording