JCRC Op-Ed Initiative Continues Empowering Opinion Leaders
June 6, 2018
Posted by: Jeremy Russell, Director of Marketing and Communications
Earlier this year, JCRC brought together an inspiring group of Jewish opinion leaders to learn, directly from news-media professionals, how best to construct and pitch opinion editorials. These were all dedicated experts with deep knowledge of critically important issues from immigration and women’s rights to public service, democracy and Israel. The two-day training focused on empowering them to take thought leadership positions in their fields and to share their Jewish values through strategic op-eds. It was the second such group, selected from the Bay Area Jewish community, that JCRC was able to connect with trainers from The Op-Ed Project.
At a time of unprecedented political polarization, as well as increased tension around the globe (alonside some very troubling increases in anti-Semitic activity), it is more important than ever for our community leaders to bring values-positive perspectives to a broader audience and for them do so proudly as Jews. Their voices are critical not only in their fields but also to raise the esteem of the entire Jewish community.
So far this year, participants have had four new articles published in a range of publications:
- "Sheldon Adelson, we have things to discuss," Noa Kushner, Times of Israel (February 7, 2018)
- "My Chinese and Jewish Family Celebrates Three New Years," Rabbi Jacqueline Mates-Muchin, ReformJudaism.org blog (Febraury 15, 2018)
- "We Need More Moms In Government. Here’s How To Get Them," Dr. Amy Bacharach, Huffington Post (March 29, 2018)
- "Elections threaten San Francisco judiciary," Dr. Amy Bacharach, San Francisco Examiner (May 2, 2018)
We have also seen particupants from our first cohort continue to publish, as well:
- "Livermore development controversy reminds us — all politics is local," Patricia Keer Munro, San Francisco Chronicle (January 22, 2018)
- "My joy and my heartache," Eva Seligman-Kennard, J. The Jewish News of Northern California (April 18, 2018)
- "One Jew at a Time," Rachel Wabha, Times of Israel (April 14, 2018)
- "Residency is the only moral reparation for separated families," Gayle Donsky, J. The Jewish News of Northern California (July 16, 2018)