External Relations Director
The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) seeks a dynamic, experienced, articulate Director of External Relations to deepen the public affairs, civic relations and advocacy work of our organization across the Bay Area. This is a full-time position.
- Maintaining strong connections to local, state and federal elected officials.
- Maintaining involvement with civic, faith, ethnic and educational leaders through civic and single-issue coalitions and organizations.
- Executing community relations plans to address issues of concern.
- Serving as JCRC’s representative at San Francisco Jewish and civic functions to build awareness of and support for JCRC.
- Planning and executing annual, bi-annual and ad-hoc events focused on bringing elected and community leaders together with the Jewish community
- Educating community and civic leaders about Israel, JCRC’s positions on Israel and JCRC initiatives such as Invest in Peace.
- Consulting with local Jewish agency executives to assit them in managing complex community matters and/or government relations issues pertaining to their organizations.
- Taking a leadership role in JCRC coalition-building activities, including actively engaging in inter-ethnic, interfaith and single issue (of relevance to JCRC) coalition discussions.
- Serving as an outreach ambassador to accelerate the recognition of the Jewish community’s shared values in activities with partner organizations and coalitions.
- Helping identify, recruit, train, and mobilize Jewish community lay leaders to serve on public commissions, school boards, nonprofit boards, and act as key contacts for JCRC with elected officials.
- Helping to identify and recruit JCRC Study Tour participants and engage alumni with the work of JCRC.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Seven to ten years of professional work experience in one or more (combined) fields: public affairs, government relations, community outreach, grassroots organizing, and/or fundraising.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, connections to and/or work experience in the Bay Area, particularly in the civic and political arena (Jewish community knowledge a plus).
- Political savvy and strategic thinking.
- Strong communicator with excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Strong commitment to organizational mission.
- Commitment to and engagement with civic affairs.
JCRC is a fast-paced, dynamic environment whose mission is to pursue a just society and a secure Jewish future. We foster collaboration, celebrate accomplishments, and seek highly talented and well-informed individuals to be part of our diverse team.
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, JCRC provides a generous compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee flexible spending health care and dependent (cafeteria) plan, pre-tax transit pass program, an employee-contributed vision insurance plan, early closure for Shabbat and Jewish holidays, days off for Jewish holy days that fall during the work week, and – most significantly – a collaborative and friendly work environment.
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to email a cover letter and resume to Hallie Baron, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.