To ensure a safe and welcoming environment for Jewish students in K-12 schools, JCRC Bay Area (Jewish Community Relations Council) is seeking an Assistant Director of Public Education to help implement our education work. The Assistant Director of Public Education will work under the direction of the Director of Public Education to build understanding of Jewish identity and antisemitism, advocate for protections for Jewish students in Bay Area public schools, and empower local Jewish parents, teachers, and families in their advocacy.
The Assistant Director of Public Education will manage JCRC’s response and intervention to issues impacting Jewish students in public schools; promote and deliver trainings on Jewish identity and antisemitism in K-12 education for administrators, staff, and school boards of local school districts and county offices of education; provide resources and support for local district implementation of a fair and balanced Ethnic Studies course (pursuant to AB 101); and act as point person for Bay Area Jewish parent groups. Local travel required, as well as possible occasional travel to conferences across California.
For 75 years, JCRC has served as the largest collective voice of Bay Area Jews, bringing together diverse Jewish communities with our neighbors to build a just society and a secure Jewish future. Our flexible, hybrid office is a fast-paced, energetic, and dynamic environment that inspires collaboration and growth.
Outreach, Community Organizing, and Relationship Building
- Lead comprehensive outreach, provide organizational management support, and maintain relationships with local parent groups. As needed, provide educational support and resources in close consultation with JCRC’s Directors of Jewish Community Engagement and of Public Education.
- Manage outreach to public school districts on education-related topics, including relationship building, information gathering, and resource distribution, in close consultation with JCRC’s Director of Public Education.
- Manage tracking and response for school-based issues, primarily related to antisemitism and Jewish religious observance.
Training and Education
- Promote and facilitate trainings and workshops for administrators, school boards, and educators, on Jewish identity and antisemitism in K-12 education.
- Facilitate workshops for Jewish parents on educational advocacy and related topics.
- Work closely with JCRC’s development team to cultivate future donors identified through field work, and provide donor briefings on education initiatives.
- Regularly enter data and contact information into Salesforce.
- Local travel between different Bay Area counties and possible occasional travel to conferences across California.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher master’s degree in Education or other degree with equivalent educational experience preferred
- At least three years experience in K-12 education
- Presentation skills and comfort with public speaking, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong understanding of the K-12 public education system
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Knowledge of Jewish issues such as antisemitism, Jewish identity, and Israel
- Understanding of the local Bay Area community (desired but not required)
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Comfort with a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of JCRC
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, JCRCBay Area provides a generous compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee flexible spending health care and dependent (cafeteria) plan, pre-tax transit pass program, an employee-contributed vision insurance plan, early closure for Shabbat and Jewish holidays, days off for Jewish holy days that fall during the work week, and – most significantly – a collaborative and friendly work environment. Flexible hybrid office schedule.
Salary Range: $85,000-$95,000
Reports to: Director of Public Education
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to email a cover letter and resume to Hallie Baron, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.